Saturday 6 February 2016

The Best Ginger Slice Ever

Back in the day about 10 or more years ago, my sister and I used to always make Ginger Crunch from the pre-mix box recipes from the supermarket. Between then and a few years ago they disappeared off the shelf so I was on the look out for the best recipe to make some delicious Ginger Crunch! Now I have tried a few recipes and failed miserably, since moving out of the flat I had been living in I have come to the realisation that it was in fact the oven that was screwing up all my baking and not my fault!

Towards the end of last year I came across a promising ginger slice recipe on Chelsea Winter's website so I was excited to give this one a go as her recipes are simple and AMAZING!!! This recipe is oh so simple to follow and it was in fact the best ginger slice I have tried (even better than the one we sell at my work!) I think what stands it apart from other recipes and slices I have tried in the past is this one is an 'Oaty' one so it doesn't have that crunch to it instead it is kind of chewy! It didn't last long in our household as it is also one of my boyfriend's favourite slices so ever. Since then he is always asking me to make some more. So on Friday I whipped up a new batch and as I'm writing this there are only 2 slices left! I almost forgot to take a picture of the end product!

If you love Ginger slice/crunch I highly recommend you give this recipe a go. The recipe does say to refrigerate but beware if you do it can cause the icing to go kind of white looking and crack but it tastes better cold :)


Oaty Ginger Slice


Base
150g butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
3/4 cup plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp ground ginger
1.5 cups whole oats
¾ cup desiccated coconut

Icing
150g butter
2 – 3 cups icing sugar, sifted
3 tbsp golden syrup
4 tsp ground ginger



Method
Preheat the oven to 180c. Line a 32cm x 22cm slice tin with baking paper.

Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a large saucepan over a medium heat, stirring gently to combine. Remove from the heat.

Sift the flour, baking powder and ginger into the pan with the buttery mixture. Add the oats and coconut, and fold to combine.

Press the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and leave in the tin.



Heat the icing ingredients (2 cups of the icing sugar) in a saucepan (just rinse the one you used for the base), stirring over a medium heat until melted. If the butter isn’t all mixing in nicely, add more icing sugar until you have a nice smooth icing – up to a cup more icing sugar.

Pour over the warm slice. Leave in the tin to cool then cut into slices. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week

You can follow me here
Instagram _ivysaurus
Twitter ivysaurus_17
Bloglovin' ivysaurus
Pinterest levicorpus

2 comments: